Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I hate jet-leg. I'm normally immune to its effects. I flew a red-eye flight back from Seattle and so I spent all day yesterday in a jet-lagged induced fog - two days kind of swirled together into one big mix of semi-consciousness.

The weekend was fun. Got in Thursday night and Steve picked me up from the airport. We had coordinated the pick up time so Steve was able to just drive up and pick me up. Last time Steve picked me up from the airport we had got our wires crossed - Arrivals and departures are on two different levels at Sea-Tac. I got confused - I was "departing" the airport, so I waited at the Departures terminal for Steve to pick me up. Twenty minutes I got a call from Steve, "dude," he said, "you've arrived. You're not departing..."

Sometimes I'm not bright.

Friday - played nine holes of golf with Steve and Elijah. Good times. Elijah is only 11, but made it through 9 holes of golf. Truth is, at 11, I would not have the patience to play nine holes of golf. Picked up the tuxedos for the wedding - Steve and Leslie went with brown and green for wedding colors, which, I admit, I thought was suspect. But really, the colors worked.

Yes, I really did just type, "the colors worked."


Rehearsal dinner time - must have been like "Worlds Collide" for Steve. Went off pretty good. I normally hate these kind of functions which require small-talk and polite smiles, but everyone was nice and down to Earth.

Saturday - W-day for Steve. Had breakfast at the Spar - which was good, good. Breakfast came with real hashbrowns - you know, the grated, fried potatoes. We can't find hashbrowns out East to save our lives (what is the idea behind home fries for breakfast anyway?)

Drove out to the wedding site by 1pm. Watching Steve get nervous reminded me of my wedding day 10 years before and how nervous I felt. What are we nervous about really? Everything's pretty much on autopilot by that time. Ah well. Nice ceremony. Leslie and Steve looked great. The reception was fun.

And I didn't screw up my toast (my duty as best-man). But I was nervous - yes, this coming from the guy that teaches and talks in front of people a lot - I was nervous. I wanted to do a good job for my brother. I felt better when the Maid of Honor told me she hadn't prepared anything - not that the toasts are a contest or anything. Still, when you're up there, in front of everyone, you realize there's no way to screw this up as long as what you say is honest. A few people came up to me afterwards and said they liked what I had say - always good for the ego.

I missed Laura and Jack. They would've loved seeing everyone.

Sunday - Went back to the Spar for breakfast (c'mon, they got hashbrowns!) I bought Lisa breakfast as a thank-you for letting me crash at her place. Lisa is a creature of habit and routine, so I know having others crash her place, use her computer, lay around and watch the TV, wasn't easy. She's a trooper.

I got to catch up with my friend Jay during the afternoon. Always good times with Jay. He drove out to Boston with me in 2005 and we had a few laughs at our (mis)adventure that summer road-trip.

Had dinner with the family back at Steve and Leslie's place before Steve took me to the airport. The weekend had been a flash.


  1. Anonymous1:24 PM

    I missed the NW Visit by a phone call - but it sounds like a very good and full time. I meant to call you, Laura, long before now to hear the details about Jack and his potty training "day". The summer is going so fast... Looking forward to a brief evening when you come in the middle of July! xoxo Mom Wilsie

  2. Hash browns Hmm.. WA State and some admittedly home grown grub stops are good.. we are blessed with oven baking Mickey Ds tasting hashbrown...not too bad.

  3. EK, can you get this knife out of my back? Thanks.