Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Job Updates

The family's reunited again. Laura came home Sunday night. Jack and I drove out to the airport to get her. Jack had been excited all day on Sunday. I tried to put him down for a cat nap before we had to leave for the airport around 10:30pm. But after an hour, he called from his room. I went in there and asked what was wrong. "I can't sleep," he said. Can't blame the little guy - so he got up. On the way to the airport Jack asked, "are you so excited Dada? I'm really excited."

When did he learn the word "excited"?

Laura's convinced her interview in Seattle went - just ok. The further she gets from the interview, the more she's convinced she didn't do so well. I pointed out it's a good thing she's not on the hiring committee then, or she'd definitely not get the job. The next step is they'll call (hopefully) for a second interview over the phone. Then they'll be more waiting before we hear if she gets the job or not.

In the category of "Things I Didn't Expect" - I got a full-time teaching job at CWU-Lynnwood (near Seattle). I'd be teaching a bunch of psych classes to undergrads at the branch campus. I didn't expect to get it because I'm ABD (All But Dissertation). ABD is this grey area of being smart enough to get through all your course work, but not smart enough to actually have your degree yet (you have to write your dissertation to get that). The university teaching jobs usually go to those people with their doctoral degrees. The fact that the job is on a branch campus and not the main university campus probably gave me a better shot. Think of it like an academic outpost of sorts - probably beneath some psych people. I'll be CWU Psych department's representive in the wilderness.

Still - it's not a bad gig since the afternoon and evening classes would allow me to a) gain some university teaching experience, b) take time to write my dissertation and c) start cultivating some sport psych work around the Puget Sound on the side. Anyway, it's good to know I'd have a job lined up if we did move.

So we're left waiting to hear on Laura's job - it's hard because I get the feeling that neither of us want to talk about it, fearing we might jinx something - so it's a little like saying Voldemort's name, you know, The Job That Must Not Be Named.

We'll let you know when we know something.

No comments:

Post a Comment