Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Bliss (?!) of it *ALL*

So, the whole point of a blog is to post everyday. My God, how do people do it? Basically, that's been my question lately. How do YOU ALL do it? "You All" refers to those folks out there who are in shape, attentive loving parent and spouse, successful financially, and emotionally/spiritually satisfied. Of course, nobody feels like they are "doing it all" right? For those of you that are, I don't want to hear from you.

It's 11:30 on a Saturday night and after a long day with Jack - great to spend time with him, but the kid didn't nap (just plain didn't sleep!), I had to grade SAT essays online later than I had planned. I've been offered the job of writing (yes, WRITING, not just editing: YEAH!) the teacher edition of one of the reading workshops in an eighth grade textbook and that's due Wednesday, plus I've got some new math work coming up this week. As usual, I've got all the good stress I could ask for. And despite any hint at an irritated tone, I'm genuinely thankful for (all) the work.

I'm just trying to figure out how to balance *it all*.

Of course, I could start by dealing with my DVD addictions. By addiction, I mean anytime we rent a television series on DVD, I have to watch ALL of episodes in one or two nights. That meant that when the third disc for Scrubs first season came in the mail, I kept Ed up until 11:00 with me Thursday and Friday to watch all eight episodes. Let me tell you, it was worth it. If you haven't checked out the show, I highly recommend it. The next season starts January 3rd. Dramatic and hilarious, wry and sensitive, with the occasional dancing and singing, Scrubs reminds its audience that even though we strive for it all, the success is, well, as you may have guessed, in how we strive for "it all." I always forget about that. Ed also narrowed in on another reason we love the show so much: the writers have a knack for showing how life really works: in extremes. One minute we're on top of the world, and then something happens, and the next moment we feel like shit. This is my life. Forever I've been trying to find some equilibrium, to be more emotionally consistent and avoid the extremes. Maybe it's better to roll with ALL of the reactions, emotions, and face them head on. Who knows.

I'm going to bed now and focus on what did get accomplished today (I had some good laughs with Jack, Ed finished a major paper for school, I got a few hours of SAT grading in) and not what isn't being accomplished (the usual: sleep, and the ability to comfortably fit into my jeans that fit so well when I was walking up and down California Avenue everyday).

No comments:

Post a Comment